The Group on Remote Sensing for Biodiversity within CEOS (RSBC) is a CEOS Societal Benefit Area (SBA) Team coordinating civil space borne activities related to biodiversity research and conservation application. Several governmental space agencies as well as inter-governmental and non-governmental organizations working on Biodiversity and Conservation are collaborating through RSBC to improve global earth observations data.
The RSBC will help to implement the Global Earth Observation System of Systems (GEOSS) through CEOS actions in support of the Group on Earth Observation (GEO) work plan and associated GEO Tasks.
RSBC aims at targeting several issues related to Earth observations and biodiversity:
- Identify needs and shortcomings of Earth observations for biodiversity and conservation
- Improve inter-community exchange
- Trigger new developments between communities
- Coordinate CEOS activities which are beneficial to biodiversity and conservation activities
- Advocate for improved data and software access, availability as well as adequate data sets
- Outline future needed developments, new products as well as sensors
Thank you for taking the time to answer a few questions concerning the use of remote sensing for biodiversity research and conservation applications. This survey will help improve the understanding, use and future needs of Earth observation developments for biodiversity and conservation.